"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple." Psalm 27:4

22 July 2007

Countering the Enemy with the Word

This afternoon as we struggled to focus in prayer (this seems like the theme recently) I started to write down some adjectives to describe how we were feeling. Then we looked up Bible verses whose truths would counter the feelings that were preventing us from praying. As we read the verses aloud, prayed from them, and meditated on the truths they spoke we were able to focus on the Lord and pray together.

As we know we're not alone in our struggles to focus on prayer, worship and intercession, here is a list of the some of the feelings and the verses we used as we sought the Lord.

Spiritually Dry - "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. " John 7:38

Tired & Weak - "He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he inceases strength...Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will fly on wings like eages. They will walk and not grow weary, they will run and not be faint. " Isaiah 40

Distracted & Unfocused - "Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to JESUS, the founder and perfector of our faith." Hebrews 12

Disconnected - "Draw near to God and he WILL draw near to you." James 4:8

Hungry - "Man shall not live on bread alone." Luke 4:14 - Jesus himself used this one to counter Satan

Discouraged - "He will not grow faint or be discouraged, til he has established justice in the earth." Isaiah 42 - If our Messiah will never be discouraged, why then should we? May the Lord help us to press in and to cry out for his justice until he comes and establishes his kingdom on the earth

We can also find comfort in what the Lord told Paul regarding his 'thorn in the flesh':

"'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, I am strong." 2 Corin 12:9

No comments: